Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

test v symptoms - thank you
Jul 9, 2008

Dear Dr Bob

Thank you for your swift and detailed answer which I really do appreciate.

Having visited your website, I feel really humble, when I see what a difference you are making with your life in helping both those who read this forum as well as all the work that you do to help HIV suffers.

It certainly has inspired me to take a long hard look at what is important in my life and how we can all contribute to make the world a better place.

As someone who has had the opportunity to spend time in Europe, I really hope that with a change of President in the fall, universal healthcare for all in the US will become a higher priority

Many thanks again, and I will be making a $200 donation within the next 2 weeks.

I

People like you are a real inspiration

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Thanks for your thanks and very kind comments as well as your very generous donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). All are warmly appreciated. Your one gift will touch many lives!

With 47 million U.S. citizens uninsured and an additional 25 million underinsured, I'm confident President Obama will indeed make universal healthcare a priority.

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

test v symptoms Jul 8, 2008

Dear Dr Bob

Appreciate that you receive many e-mails, I write again in hope of areply. I would also welcome opportunity to donate to your foundation.

I am in my late forties. Following unprotected genital to genital griding with sex worker (with erect tip) - without penatration, went hrough "classic symptoms" from week 4 for 6-8 weeks and had quite a rough time. Never really got completely OK and some symptoms remain or have appeared since. At week 14 had Elisa blood test at doctor for HIV 1/2 + HIV home access Hiv test at week 19 1/2.

Tests came back negative, so wish to rebuild life, however still suffering from following symptoms: 1)Dry skin, and general itchiness under armpits, and on arms which have small red dots that sometimes appear (near biceps). More general rash appears accross shoulders and upper thorax

2) Dry mouth and throat with small white spots on whole tongue that sometime turn grey and turn red sometimes if srctached.

3) Sometimes loss of taste with food tasting bitter. I have never had any thrush or mouth diseases before and am not on any medication.

4)loose stool every coule of days for 1-2 days

Feelings of mild nausea and loss of appetite sometimes

Every 2-3 days deadness or tingling in legs when seated

Sometimes head cold when tired in evening or first thing in morning

I am worried and concerned because of the number of these symptoms

With a lot of stress and some travel, I feel that my immune system is symply weak and not taking time to seroconvert.

1) Your thoughts please

2)I plan to get another ELISA HIV 1 and 2 blood test at 6 months, but if still negative (I am convinced I will be positive), I think that the only thing to get my sanity back is to test for viral load or my T CD-4 (correct spelling)? blood cell count, as if no load detected and imune system healthy, then feel that I can start to rebuild. Is this a stupid approach?

Regards and hoping for a reply

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your HIV-acquisition risk "genital to genital grinding" is nonexistent. The technical term for this activity is frottage. Some folks call it "dry docking." At any rate, no matter what you call it, no penetration equals no risk! OK?

Your negative HIV-1 and HIV-2 tests out to 19.5 weeks are definitive and conclusive. Not unexpectedly, due to your "non exposure," HIV is not your problem! No way. No how. No further HIV testing is warranted. In particular, I would not recommend an HIV plasma viral load (HIV RNA PCR), due to the rate of false-positives, other technical concerns and cost. I also would not recommend a T-cell subset analysis (CD4 count), as you have absolutely no indication to run that type of test. Even though I don't feel it's necessary or warranted, if you insist on getting a six-month ELISA, fine. The results will undoubtedly be negative.

I cannot diagnose the cause of your symptoms over the Internet. But what I can do with absolute certainty is advise you what is not causing them: It's not HIV! I suggest you follow up with your general medical doctor for any persistent bothersome symptoms. But remember, one thing is absolutely certain. The symptoms are not HIV related!

Thanks for your willingness to make a tax-deductible contribution to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated by those who were not so lucky in dodging the HIV bullet and are now struggling to cope with the challenges of coexisting with HIV.

Be well. Stay well. (Yes, you are indeed well!)

Dr. Bob

Previous
night out with wife extremely anxious new symptom
Next
8 weeks and Inconclusive

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.