cure for hiv/aids -the truth is how expedable and profitable are you?

Hi Dr. Bob, Just my two cents. I agree with you post that there seems to be no cure for hiv/aids on the distant horizon. But one at the same time, has to stop and wonder - if they can clone animals, human genes, and put a man into space -realistically is it even feasible to believe the us govt. really doesnt have somewhere hidden in area 50 or something the formula for stopping hiv dead in its tracks 25 years later- its hard to believe that they would not. Funny thing how there immediately was a vaccine for polio developed after the president contracted it. I bet if the president or one of his immediate family contracted hiv/aids- then within a term there would be much better if not comparable to a cure to truly make hiv/aids like something more in the line of diabetes. Think of it sadly, why would pharm companies and research grants and associations truly want to find a cure - when they can make money baby watching people simply live longer, take toxic medicines- until it physically kills them, look like the people from Will Smith's i am legend as long as they stay alive, are outkasted, and scrutinized, and stigmacized, - who cares as long as they pay baby- isnt that what american comes really down to - making money...its a sad thing. If every single person across the world for one week stood up to their govt and demanded a cure for aids...i guarantee you something would change real fast. Why dont more people act up today??? Aids is not over- we are not even close, want to change this- then it is they duty of each person to act up, voice their opinion, take action that will force change agressively, and never keep quiet no more!!!! We must shout so loud that each person is no longer embarrased..we all have this virus whether directly or indirectly (if we dont fix it today) our children will have to deal with this? Dont we owe them this? Do they deserve to have to live with this? Nobody deserves to have to live with this or be concerned always with this!!! No!!!

Sincerely,

Harsh Reality Fighter

"Is it even feasible to believe the US government really doesn't have somewhere hidden in area 50 or something the formula for stopping HIV dead in its tracks 25 years later?" No, it is not feasible, logical or even possible! Even Cheney's not that evil. (OK, maybe close, but not quite that evil!!!)

I do agree that if there had been more emphasis and resources devoted to HIV/AIDS over the past quarter century, we would be much further ahead in all aspects of this disastrous pandemic awareness, prevention, treatment and perhaps even cure. Remember, just as the epidemic was taking off, then President Reagan ignored it. He never mentioned the word AIDS until his eighth year in office (May 1987). By that time, 36,058 Americans had been diagnosed with AIDS, 20,849 had died and the disease had spread to 113 countries. For an accurate and enlightening history of the first 25 years of the pandemic, check out the PBS documentary "The Age of AIDS." You can Netflix it!

Why would big pharma want to find a cure? There are over 35 million people currently infected worldwide. Finding a cure would be far more profitable than competing for market share with over 20 anti-HIV drugs currently available.

Why don't more people "act-up" today? Good question. AIDS apathy is epidemic and lethal. I could write an entire thesis on this topic, but if I get started I won't get around to answering the other gazillion-plus questions cramming their way into my inbox. So instead, I'll just refer you to the archives, as I've discussed this topic several times in the past.

I urge you to put your indignation to good use to induce positive change. One person really can change the world!

''HELP!'' from TURKEY
I screw up this time...