Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Safe Sex Serosorting.
Jul 7, 2008

Dr. Bob;

Thank you for your reply: "As for your question, "Do HIV negative people have safe sex anymore?" the answer would be: Yes, the smart ones who wish to remain HIV negative do!

My advice is to play safe to be safe, whether you are poz or neggie."

For the past decade, I have always been receiving this type of a response to my question, regardless which HIV expert or professional I ask. However, the main question: WHY are the HIV researchers, "experts" and "professionals" delibertly REFUSING to support or encourage Safe Sex Serosorting? Is never answered. After all, you TOO agree that safe sex is best, so why not add Safe Sex Serosorting to the list of HIV prevention strategies.

So, please forgive me if I repeat my question: WHY are the HIV researchers, "experts" and "professionals" delibertly REFUSING to support or encourage Safe Sex Serosorting?

Robert

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Robert,

You report: "For the past decade, I have always been receiving this type of a response to my question, regardless which HIV expert or professional I ask." Well then, it's unanimous: We "HIV experts and professionals" all agree. In my initial response, I explained in detail exactly why it would be unwise and illogical for us to endorse barebacking for anyone and also why even a "negative" test may not mean your partner is truly HIV negative. (See below.) The only message that makes sense is "safer sex for all... no glove, no love, no exceptions." Think it through Robert. All "HIV experts, professionals, and researchers" wouldn't be of like mind if this strategy did not meet the standards of both scientific fact and common sense.

Dr. Bob

Safe Sex Serosorting Jul 5, 2008

With the universal success of Serosorting (As a Barebacking strategy)in breaking the cycle of NEW HIV transmissions, WHY are the HIV researchers, "experts" and "professionals" delibertly REFUSING to support or encourage Safe Sex Serosorting?

Do HIV-(negative) people have safe sex anymore?

Robert

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Robert,

The "universal success of serosorting"????? WHAT???? Whether serosorting has actually reduced the number of new HIV infections remains an open question. Barebacking, even with serosorting, remains a risky endeavor, due to the possibility of reinfection (superinfection, dual infection) as well as infection with other STDs that could affect the course of HIV disease for HIV pozitoids. As for the neggies, well, you're only as negative as your last HIV test and even that negative test might be a false negative if taken within the window period. Therefore, it would be irresponsible for the experts to support any type of barebacking.

As for your question, "Do HIV negative people have safe sex anymore?" the answer would be: Yes, the smart ones who wish to remain HIV negative do!

My advice is to play safe to be safe, whether you are poz or neggie.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Only hello to a great man
Next
''HELP!'' from TURKEY

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.