For my dear friend

Dr. Bob,

I'm asking this question for my best friend who is in depression and does not speak English.

She got raped by a guy whose HIV status was unknown. The guy was her classmate who tried to get her drunk. He was also really drunk. He could not penetrate her without a condom as she was a virgin. She told me he tried to do it for less than 2 minutes but only less than 1" went inside her vagina. She felt really tight but she didn't see any visible blood. She used a pen to stab his balls and ran away.

She came to my house in the morning and has not been out of my room after that. She does not want to go to school because she is scared to see him. She also does not want to go to the police or go and get a HIV test.

She has been sitting/lying on my bed for 14 days (after the horrible incident) being confident that she is infected and pregnant.

I read your achieves and explain to her that her risk is not high (1/1000) but she said that the chance is nearly 99%.

1)) Is my friend actually at risk? What is the chance of her being a HIV positive?

2)) The fact that it did not really go in reduce the chance of being infected?

3)) What should we do now?

Thank you so much. I feel extremely sad and stressed seeing my best friend cry over things that most likely will not happen.

We are waiting for your medical advice. If u don't have time we will be happy with a short/quick answer.

Thank you very much for your attention.

"She used a pen to stab his balls . . . ."???? OUCHAMAGOUCHA! Very resourceful!

Your friend has obviously been quite traumatized by this exposure. I agree with you: His risk of HIV or pregnancy is essentially nonexistent. However, your friend does need medical assistance, both for a physical examination and for psychological support/counseling. I suggest you urge her to consult her doctor. You can offer to go with her for support and to help explain what happened and her fears about HIV and pregnancy. I would also hope she reports the incident to the authorities. The perpetrator should be easy enough to identify. He'll be the one with the ink marks and bruises on his low hangers.

Salicylates-very important article!
Docking and Penis-Rubbing