possible HIV/HCV coinfection after sex during menustration?
Jul 7, 2008
Hello Dr. Bob. Please take the time to look at my question. On 12/5/07 I had protected sex with a CSW of unknown HIV status. When I finished i noticed that there was some blood on my pubic hair and pelvis area (perhaps due to menustration). I had no visible cuts or open sores. About 2 months later I took a PCR DNA test for HIV and it came out negative. 3 months post exposure I had a comprehensive STD panel done (including Hepatitis C). All the results were negative. A few days ago I took an HIV antibody test (about 7 months post exposure) and it too was negative.
I was ready to move on with these results but I read somewhere that Hepatitis C can delay / extend the window period for HIV antibodies to show up. I have also read that the antibodies for Hep C can take anywhere from 3 to 6 months to show. So my two questions are:
1) Do you think my negative Hep C test results 3 months post exposure were conclusive? And...
2) if not, does that mean that my latest HIV test @ 7 months are unreliable? Please help, doctor! Thanks so much!
Response from Dr. Frascino
1. I can't tell from your post what type of hepatitis C screening you had, but I would assume it most likely was conclusive.
2. Your seven-month negative HIV test is definitive, conclusive and reliable. You are HIV negative. Stop worrying and start WOO-HOOing!
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Itchy Skin After Kissing Cold Sore Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Sore On Penis After Touching Sperm Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Glands After Needle Stick Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling In Feet After Licking Genital Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling In Fingers After Fingering Worried I Have HIV
- List Of Sexually Transmitted Infections Does Doxycycline Monohydrate Treat
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.