Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Made a $250 donation just now. Have a question, Dr. Bob.
Jul 7, 2008

Dr. Bob,

First of all I'd like to thank you for helping people all around the world. I'm glad to contribute a little as well by donating to your organization $250.

I have written to you before but didn't get a reply to my question. I started thinking that I have nothing to worry about if you think it's not important to post it here. I had multiple protected sexual acts throughout one night with someone that I don't know well. I used condoms during the intercourse but what concerns me a lot is that during the foreplay she used her vaginal fluid to lubricate my penis (including the head of the penis) while masturbating me. Then I put condom on right before the intercourse. I went through your archives here and as I understand, masturbation, even when a woman transfers her vaginal fluids to the penis, is not considered risky. Do I understand it correctly? I'm extremely worried about this incident. Dr. Bob, please comment on my incident. Do you think HIV test is warranted?

Please dont leave my question unanswered I really, really need your input.

Thank you very much!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

"Multiple protected sexual acts" would not be considered an HIV-acquisition risk, assuming the latex condoms were used properly and did not fail (break). Masturbation is generally not considered a risk for HIV transmission. To be a potential HIV risk, infected vaginal fluids would need to be transferred to the mucous membranes of the urethra (pee hole). HIV does not live long outside the body and the chances that an adequate amount of infected vaginal fluids could have been transferred to your urethral mucous membrane in the manner you describe is remote at best. I would place your degree of risk at an extremely low level. Because you are "extremely worried" about this incident, I would advise you get a single rapid HIV test at the three-month mark. Please rest assured the statistical odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not contract the virus from this wild night between the sheets.

Thank you for your very generous tax-deductible donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Your one gift will touch many lives in desperate need. On behalf of those lives, please accept my heartfelt appreciation. I'll send a formal acknowledgement as well as a small token of my appreciation via snail mail soon. I'm also sending my very best good-luck/good-health karma that your definitive three-month HIV test is negative. I'm quite confident it indeed will be negative.

Good luck and many thanks.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV+ being Selfish (MAGNETIC COUPLE CONCERNS 2008)
Next
Smoking cigs in front of Ruby Sky

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.