causes of a false+

Four days ago I received a preliminary pos test result. The last time I was tested was 9/11/07 and was negative. I was tested a total of five times last year and negative each time, in addition I have never had an STD. Since July of last year I've been in a monogomous relationship. My partner tested this week and he is negative. You can imagine I've been doing lots of research as i wait for the restults of the Western Blott to come in. However, there is little on the subject of false+ causes. I have had anorexia for years and use laxatives ( 175 mg - 500 mg of biscoydal a week) and was on Accutane up until 3 weeks ago. Didn't know it at the time but Accutane is really a cancer chemotherapy drug, I am also having a serious flair up of cold sores (Dr. put me on Valtrex), and I take Adderral for ADHD. My testing was part of my annual physical and I'm floored by the diagnosis. If i was infected, it would have to have been over 18 months ago. I'm not ruling out that I'm positive. What are the chances that I have a situation that could have caused a false+?

Neither having anorexia nor ADHD nor using laxatives, Accutane, Adderall or Valtrex would cause a false-positive HIV test. However, there are a number of things that can, including autoantibodies, HIV vaccines, factitious HIV and technical or clerical errors. I have discussed the causes of false-positive HIV tests many times in this forum. Check the archives for further details.

From the information you provided, I would assume you are HIV negative and that your ELISA result was indeed false.

wam
Lying Cheater Multiple exposures