I met Magic Johnson in LA

I recently met Magic Johnson, the HIV+ sporting legend, in Los Angeles, and I told him in private that I am HIV positive like him, and recently infected this year heterosexual. He told me the treaments now are very good but to live a clean, heathy lifestyle that is the key to health. I asked him his views on a cure, and he told me we are a lot closer than people think in finding a cure for HIV, but as I was about to ask him more questions,he had to leave... Dr. Bob, do you think we are closer to a cure than people think? Would Magic Johnson know more than what you guys would???

Thank you for your time...

Do I think we are closer to a cure than people think??? Well, I guess that would depend on who the people are and what exactly they think! Some people have been so frustrated with our efforts to find a cure they are discouraged and think that we'll never find a cure. I don't agree with them. Other folks feel that a cure is just around the corner, say, within the next one to five years. I don't agree with them either. At this point, a cure for HIV/AIDS is not visible, even on the distant horizon. That doesn't mean we won't find a cure. Ultimately, I believe we will. I just don't think it will be anytime soon. Of course if Dubya was spending even a fraction of the $5,000 per second (yes, $5,000 per second!) that he is wasting in Iraq on a cure for HIV/AIDS (or cancer, diabetes, heart disease, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, etc.), we'd be much closer, or perhaps have already found the cures!

Salaam again to you good Sir
PLEASE Check is in the Mail