Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV and its psychological effects
Jul 3, 2008

I am an HIV-neg male. I recently met another guy who is HIV-poz. There's no way I can know what it feels like to live with the disease. But we tried dating. In the beginning he was TOTALLY comfortable with everything (kissing, cuddling, even a little messing around). Then about a month into our dating, he turned the complete opposite direction saying how it was too much for him, too quickly and that he had a fear of spreading the disease to me. Now is there any information you can offer to me as far as what I can do to make him feel more comfortable with both himself and me? What is going on in the minds of the many HIV-poz people who find something 'comfortable,' but then somehow push it away?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

This is a difficult and not all that uncommon problem. (See below for an example. There are many more in the archives.) Everyone's situation is a bit different and therefore there is no one specific answer to your question. Magnetic relationships (one poz, one neg) can be extremely challenging for both partners. I would suggest you (and hopefully your potential future husband) read through the information in the chapter "Magnetic Couples" in the archives of this forum. It's a good place to begin, as it addresses many issues that magnetic couples face. Communication is key.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Fear of HIV Jul 1, 2008

Dear Robert. I've been living with HIV since 1992 without any medication. Now I work for an HIV organization based in Cornwall UK. I read articles and other material all over the internet but I never find anything targeted to HIV negative people who are afraid of contracting HIV. I am currently very attracted to a woman which finds me very attractive too, but because she is terrified about HIV she doesn't want to meet me. What can I do to dissipate her fear and live a happy and safe relationship ?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

You never find anything targeted at HIV-negative people who are afraid of contracting HIV??? WHAT??? Hmm . . . well there are at least a gazillion posts in the archives of this forum addressing various aspects of that question. Have a look! As for your frightened new gal-pal, I'd suggest you have her read through the chapters in the archives of this forum dedicated to magnetic couples, sexual HIV transmission and safer sexual techniques.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Scared to Death!
Next
why does this go on?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.