The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

# month test accurate?

Jul 2, 2008

1.If I contracted HIV from an affair & gave HIV to my wife & we continued to have unprotected sex, would my 3 month test still be accurate,or do I have to stop having sex with her & then test at 3 months again.This is what my doctor told me at Kaiser.

I have Negative tests out to 4 months, she has a negative test app. 2 1/2 months from when I think I infected her. We went on vacaction to Mexico & she got this messed up flu that made her vomit for two days & diahrea for 4 days,along with night sweats,fatigue, & severe loss of appetite for a week.

2.Wouldnt she have developed antibodies after that flu, if it was ARS.

She tested negative 3 weeks after,but remember we were still having unprotected sex during this whole time.Last week(1 month after the Mexico incedent)she got this other type of flu that began in her joints,she complained of severe joint pain in her shoulder so severe she could barely move it without hurting,(I'm having similar symptoms but in my knees, and hip)then was bed ridden for a week with severe body aches,headaches & slight fever(no rash)She was so fatigued she said her skin even hurt if thats possible.She also got a UTI 2 weeks before.

3.So does she need more testing after the most recent flu?

I lost 10 lbs in the first month & 1 week after when I thought I got exposed very unexpectedly since then I can not gain weight for the life of me, it fluxuates very rapidly 149lbs-152lbs hopefully due to the amount of stress & depression & anxiety I have been going through each day(I have been on Fluoexitine oral solution for the past two weeks)No I'm not going to ask if Fluoexitine can delay antibodies ;)

4.Could not being able to gain weight be a sign of HIV infection.I eat alot of protein & I heard that HIV attacks the bodys proteins.But i would love to here it from you,since you are the expert.

Please doctor I really need you to answer these questions.

All this after 2 performances of oral sex on a woman in a bath house in the begining of Feb,she also performed oral on me without protection after brushing her teeth.I also have mild to severe gingivitis, I washed my mouth out with water after.

5.Would water kill the HIV.

I dont see anything in the archives pertaining to having to retest if you infect your wife or your partner & keep having unprotected sex with them.This is a real situation that happens everyday & alot of lives might be saved if you answer this post.So please pay it forward.1st donation will be of 25$.If you answer I'll double the second donation.

Response from Dr. Frascino


I think you may have misunderstood what the Kaiser doctor was saying. The basic point is that to definitively determine if you contracted HIV from a potential exposure, you have to wait three months or more to get an accurate test. In your case, you tested HIV negative four months after your "affair." This would be considered definitive and conclusive. You are HIV negative. And because you are conclusively HIV negative, there is absolutely no way you could transmit the virus to your wife or anyone else. (You can't give someone something you don't have to give!) These simple facts make all the rest of your questions (and all your worries) completely moot! HIV is not your (or your wife's) problem. No way. No how. OK? My only advice is that you level with your wife. It's not only the best way to confront your guilt; it's also the right thing to do.

Dr. Bob

cant sleep-please- stupid moron from OH again.
Med Stud from Argentina a bit more relaxed doc!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint