The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Rape Survivor - HIV NEGATIVE at 3 months/13 weeks?

Jul 2, 2008

I (I'm a female) was raped by a formal friend who tested HIV negative and is with the police. I developed all the anxiety symptoms.. but at 2 months, I started coughing with a sore throat. I had no fever, no swollen lymph nodes for 3 months, nothing that could indicate the flu other than a cough, sneeze, and sore throat. I got tested at 1 week, 7 week, and 13 weeks and 3 days. All negative!

Is this persistent cough that is still with me HIV conversion at 13 weeks and 3 days or can I move on with my life for good?

Thank you so much!

Response from Dr. Frascino


Whether your attacker was a "formal friend" or former friend, I'm glad he's been apprehended by the authorities.

Your HIV fears are unwarranted. Your attacker tested HIV negative and you've had three negative HIV tests out to 13 weeks. Therefore, even if your attacker was in his window period (the time between exposure to the virus and the development of enough anti-HIV antibodies to be detected by HIV-antibody tests), you have tested beyond this period (3 months). Consequently you are definitively and conclusively HIV negative. Moving on with life can be difficult after something as traumatic as rape; however, you can now rest assured that HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. OK?

Dr. Bob

I like you better Dr.Bob!
antiviral meds a year before exposure effect window period?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint