Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please answer my question - LAB MESS - Dont bothering you anymore
Jul 1, 2008

Dear Doc,

At week 12 after exposure I went to the clinic to ask for a test.

I asked for a completed Pre-Surgery Blood Study (I wasnt going to get any surgery, but..) because this kind of blood studies are very complete, and include other values I was interested to check. And of course it includes an Anti HIV 1-2 test.

It was a friday. The blood sample was taken like at noon (12 o'clock) and because of my extremely high level of anxiety I asked for URGENT results (one can do that)

So they offer me results for 4pm same day. And like a swiss watch I was at 4pm standing on that lab window were you asked for results. When I asked the secretary for my results, she said that the study is not completed, that they havent done the ANTI-HIV yet. So a freaked out, and asked her how long will it take for them to give me my results (I got a bit mad with that secretary) She told me come back in 30 minutes.

Those were the longest 30 minutes of life. When I came back, results were not there yet, I had to wait for another 10 minutes or so. Finally, I asked again for my results, the secretary told me to wait a second, she goes inside the lab, stay there for like 5 minutes, and then comes out, printed something out from her computer, and there it was.. I got my results..

They were NEGATIVE for HIV !!!! So I was WOO-HOOing very loud for my CONCLUSIVE results !!

Now I started to think about that day.. and I have some question:

1.- Do you think it is possible (considering I wasnt asking for an specific HIV test but for an study that includes an HIV test) that the lab (because of my hurry and pressure) didnt do the test at all??? And wrote NEGATIVE because it is what is suppose to happen?? Do labs do that? Or should I be 100% that if lab is giving me a result is because they did the test??? They could have said something else, like sorry, come back on Monday, or we can give you your results but not the HIV results because it is not ready yet, or whatever, right?? But not lying, right???

2.- we havent done the HIV test yet, come back in 30 minutes 30 minutes???? A clinic can do a reliable HIV test in 30 minutes?? What kind of test is that??

3.- I starting to think that if I got to the point were I wouldnt believe labs results, Im getting really crazy, do you agree??

4.- Do you think I should test again??

You answer me once regarding my case.. I am the one who left the condom on while going to the bathroom wearing his underwear and scared that some vaginal fluids could have made contact with bare penis after shower...

I hope you are fine...

Gussy

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Gussy,

The lab isn't a mess; you are. Why are you asking for "pre-surgery blood study" if you aren't scheduled for surgery? Plus, you insisted it be run on an urgent basis??? This seems like a waste of blood, energy, time and resources. I'd suggest you let your physician order the tests you need in the future, OK?

To specifically address your concerns:

1. No. No. No. Yes. Yes. Right.

2. Yes. A rapid test.

3. Absofrickinlutely!

4. No, of course not.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Fear of HIV
Next
I'll swap you piece of mind for donation?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.