Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hand job Clarification.
Jul 1, 2008

Hello Dr. Bob!

I recently gave a guy a handjob. He was still in his boxers when he came and most of it landed on my thumb. There was nothing wrong with my thumb, but when I examined my middle finger I noticed near the side of the cuticle a nick that had healed over (I think). When I pressed hard against it, though, it looked like it got redder and wetter. I dabbed a white Kleenex on it and there was not any spot of red to be seen. So it was not actively bleeding.

Was there, in your opinion, significant risk? Should I have gone and got PEP?

Wouldn't the nick have had to have been bleeding? And no red mark on the Kleenex means no blood.

I'm honestly not even sure any of his cum landed on that finger. I don't think any did, but I tend to worry a lot.

I keep thinking, what a lame fucking way to get HIV. From a nick on my finger I could barely see and didn't bleed when I pressed on it. My main cause of worry I guess is that it got wetter when I pressed on it, so I don't know if that is non-intact enough to allow HIV in!

I know you can't diagnose how deep the nick was, but can you give me some reassurance that if I didn't see any blood on the Kleenex, what kinda chances I have, assuming of course that any of his semen got on that part of my finger.

HELP!

Hand Job Clarification (Part 2)

Hello Dr. Bob!

I went ahead and read through more of the archives and I noticed that the one thing that seemed unsatisfactory and maybe accounted for the repeated inquiries was the definition of "fresh open wound."

Lets face it, many guys bite their nails or pick at their cuticles. Me included. It's a bad habit. Or maybe they get a papercut at work.

But can you say that a fresh open wound or cut or abrasion or however you want to phrase it must actually bleed? One of the previous moderators said that the if the cut has a scab or is even in the process of healing, it's nothing to worry about.

I mean, if I press and squeeze around the spot and no blood comes out, can I safely assume that I do not have a fresh open wound and thus do not have a viable entrance into my bloodstream should some guy's cum accidentally land on my hand? Through no fault of my own, mind you. : )

Please HELP!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I combined your two worry-and-angst-filled questions.

1. Was there a significant risk? Nope.

2. Should you have taken PEP? Of course not!

3. The formal definition would be "non intact skin." Certainly if you have a wound that is bleeding, the skin, by definition, would not be intact!

4. No red mark on the Kleenex means no blood? That seems fairly obvious. No blood means no blood.

5. ". . . but I tend to worry a lot." No argument there! I absolutely agree!

6. ". . . many guys bite their nails or pick their cuticles." Can I recommend a good manicurist for you perhaps?

7. I agree with "the previous moderators" that a cut that is scabbed over or healing well would not pose a significant HIV risk.

8. ". . . some guy's cum accidentally lands on my hand . . . through no fault of my own . . . ." WHAT? No fault of your own. Weren't you the one who was wanking the guy's tallywhacker not even giving the poor dude a chance to climb out of his tighty-whitie boxer-briefs? I'd say you certainly had a "hand" in these sticky proceedings!

Relax Max. Your HIV-acquisition risk is so remote it is essentially nonexistent. If you remain worried, get a single rapid HIV test at the three-month mark to put these unwarranted worries permanently to rest. Personally, I do not feel HIV testing is warranted medically, but if it will help you psychologically, it may be worth the effort.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Is it danger to catch HIV
Next
Mate dontchya think?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.