no bull -life expectancy/quality of life question to the only doc who understands :-)

Hi Doc Bob, I wanted to pose you a no-bull life expectancy/quality of life question (i understand that you have no crystal ball) but as someone who has lived and seen the darkest days of the virus come and go- i need to ask this question- can i newly diagnosed person today in 2008 pursue a career such as a doctor or lawyer without the stigma that we might return back in our progress to the dark days of hiv - and that our efforts in pursuing a career are not worth the effort- i.e. we might not live to see the products of our hard effort??? Are we headed in the right direction? Is this not worth the effort? And why r you no longer a practicing doc just out of curiousity? you probably know a hell of alot more and understand about hiv since you live with it? Thank you sooo much!

Nelson

Hello Nelson,

First off, all my responses are "no bull" and second, you are correct: I don't have an infallible crystal ball. However, I certainly can give my opinion. Even in the bad ol' days of the epidemic, I always encouraged folks to follow their dreams. Why would anyone do anything else? All any of us has is the reality of today and the promise of tomorrow, right? If someone is going to medical school so they can become a rich and famous doctor, their priorities are all wrong and they shouldn't be pursuing that career path, poz or neggie. If, on the other hand, someone feels compelled to enter the field of healthcare to help those in need, neither HIV nor anything else should stand in her way.

Do I think there is a chance we'll return to "the dark days of HIV?" Nope! No way. No how. In fact, I'm very much looking forward to the day HIV/AIDS will be nothing more than a distant bad memory.

HIV Transmission while on HAART
Dr. Bob's compassion