|Chances of becoming HIV Positive
Jun 28, 2008
My ex-boyfriend from 16 years ago (we have a 16 year old daughter) found out 5 years after we broke up that he had full-blown AIDS. Me and our daughter were immediately tested and it was negative. We are today very healthy. Why did I not become HIV positive when we were together? How in the world do I NOT have it?? Thanks.
| Response from Dr. Frascino
There are several possible explanations:
1. He could have contracted the virus after you broke up and progressed on to AIDS in the intervening five years. This is somewhat unlikely, as it generally takes longer to develop AIDS; however, it's still possible.
2. You could have been exposed to HIV without acquiring the virus. Not every HIV exposure leads to HIV transmission (thankfully!). For instance, the estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected receptive penile-vaginal sex with a partner known to be HIV positive is 1 per 1,000 exposures. Consequently, even though you were in essence playing sexual Russian roulette, you could indeed have been fortunate enough not to have contracted the virus, even though you were definitely exposed.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What Are The Chances Of Being Hiv Positive?
- Groin Pain After Sex With Hooker Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Hairy Tongue After Fisting Worried I Have HIV
- Pain In Balls After Anal Sex Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Sore On Penis After Sucking Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Stinging Pain After Unprotected Vaginal Sex Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.