Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I reaaaallly want to give my husband a blowjob.. and he is positive!
Jun 25, 2008

My husband has been diagnosed as positive since January 2007 but most probably has had it for well over a decade. We have been through his near death experience with full-blown AIDS and he is now classed as undetectable with a growing CD4 count. So far I remain negative. Our love is stronger than ever. But now that he is undetectable I feel many urges to have unprotected sex with him. My desire to feel my husband inside me is almost unbearable sometimes! I am knowledgeable about the risks - so I know my better senses will not allow it, but there is one thing I would like to give him and that is a first class blow job - like the good old days. If I give him one and he does not come in my mouth what are the risks? I know there is some virus in pre-cum but if he is undetectable isn't it near impossible to be transmitted this way if I have good oral health? Dr. Bob, over to you please!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Oral sex carries only a very low risk for HIV transmission/acquisition. However, we can't say there is absolutely zero risk. I would suggest you read through the chapters in the archives titled "Magnetic Couples," "Oral Sex" and "HIV Sexual Transmission." You should find the information encouraging. Certainly now that your husband's viral load has been suppressed to undetectable levels with potent medications, his risk of transmitting the virus is significantly decreased. Many magnetic couples have jointly decided that unprotected oral sex is "safe enough" for them. However, this is an individual decision only you and your husband can make, based on the scientific data and personal comfort levels.

Good luck to you both!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Just Major Props, and Worry...
Next
serodiscordant with an HIV+ doctor

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.