Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dealing with Stress from Waiting for Test Results?
Jun 25, 2008

Dear Dr. Bob,

I was tested 2 & 1/2 weeks ago , and I still haven't gotten my result. The stress of waiting is really upsetting me. I can't concentrate at work, and I'm crying at different points throughout my day.

I've called my health provider to ask for an ETA on the test result, and I haven't heard a thing back. Do you have any tips for people who are just trying to make it through another day of testing stress?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Sure, I have a tip. Next time, get a rapid HIV test. Results are available in as few as 20 minutes!

It seems to me that 2 weeks is excessively long to wait for a routine HIV-screening test. If your doctor can't even provide you with an ETA for the result, ask him why not. If you don't get a satisfactory answer and the results of your test very soon and if the anxiety is becoming uncontrollable, just go and get a rapid test. Alternatively, a good way to keep your problems and stress in their proper perspective is to refocus your energies by volunteering some of your time and energy for those in desperate need. Perhaps visit an AIDS hospice or a children's cancer ward, for instance.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Oral sex ,and my stupid mistake! Plz help
Next
Depressed

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.