Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Possible saliva on fresh scratches
Jun 23, 2008

Hi Dr. Bob,

I have searched the archives but cannot find a previous Q/A that matches what I am worried about. I had an encounter with another guy who wet his fingers before he proceeded to rub my penis. After about a minute the guy used the same hand to stimulate me analy. During this I did feel his nail scrathing me inside my anus and I do suffer from heamorrhoids.My question is : if the saliva that was on his fingers had not dried completely before he inserted his finger in my anus,wouod I be at risk from any bleeding scratches? Please help Doc. I am worried sick.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Actually there are lots of responses posted in the archives that answer your question! Just search for "saliva" and you'll find many responses all stating that from an HIV perspective, saliva is not considered to be infectious, unless it contains visible HIV-positive blood. Consequently, scratches or no scratches, hemorrhoids or no hemorrhoids, saliva without visible blood would not be considered an HIV-transmission risk. As always, if you are worried, a rapid test at the three-month mark will provide an accurate result. However, I do not feel HIV testing is medically warranted for what is essentially a non-exposure.

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
please ....for my sanity
Next
Young children and HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.