Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

please need information about testing method

Jun 23, 2008

hello dr.frascino and congratulations for the help you give to all of us.you are an admirable scientist.please i need your help cause im so stressed.i live in greece and in the end of november i performed unprotected oral sex and protected vaginal sex to a girl.i went to get an hiv test in a private diagnostic center of athens three times.first time was 26 days after encounter,second 89 days and the last one 6 and half months after this intercourse.all three results of the test came negative.but i noticed something and i want you to inform me please.on each of three result papers,the lab wrote exactly HIV Ag (p24)/HIV Ab (type 1 + type 2).......negative(-) CMIA Method. so the lab didnt performed the standard elisa method but the cmia method.they told me also that the name of the assay they used is ARCHITECT.i have also read that the p24 antigen is present only in the first few days after the infection. so my questions are:1) does this method and this test they performed search also for the presence of antibodies to the virus(anti-HIV 1&2),or detect only the p24 antigen? 2) is this test equivalent or better than the elisa method? 3) the results of this specific test which i got 1,3 and 6 months approximately after intercourse are reliable? 4) for example,if someone get this test one year after exposure and is infected,will that test detect antibodies and come positive? 5) and finally do you suggest me to have a test again done with elisa or other method or im 100% negative and can rely on the three results i got? please dr francino help me and answer me,the questions i wrote above are so important for me.thank you in advance and congatulations again!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

1. CMIA is a chemiluminescent microparticle immunoassay. It is equivalent to a 3rd generation ELISA in the qualitative detection of anti-HIV antibodies. It also simultaneously checks for HIV p24 antigen.

2. See response to #1.

3. Yes, reliable, definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem.

4. Yes.

5. No additional HIV testing is recommended or warranted.

Dr. Bob

Previous
please....for my sanity
Next
KP-1461 setback again

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.