Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Constipation Question
Jun 23, 2008

I suffer from IBS-related constipation. My stools are often so hard, I have to insert a finger and pry them loose (yes, I wash my hands afterward). I also use public restrooms nearly every day, since I work in retail. Is this a risk for transmission? Should I keep doing this? Should I be tested?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Dude, using your fingers to pry your poop out of your butt is just plain nasty. Stop it and don't bring this topic up in polite conversation ever again. But, you should mention it to your general medical doctor. Constipation and IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) are extremely common problems and there are much better therapies than using your fingers for excavating where the sun don't shine. Often something as simple as dietary changes and daily Metamucil will significantly improve problems like yours.

As for your HIV worries related to your sticking your fingers up your butt in public restrooms, you can relax. The risk is nonexistent. HIV testing is not warranted, however thoroughly washing your hands is!

Dr. Bob

Previous
masterbathing (MASTURBATION 2008) (QTND: CAN YOU GIVE YOURSELF AN STD BY MASTURBATION, 2008)
Next
please....for my sanity

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.