Safe Sex Covers More Than HIV, Right?

Hi Doc,

I had an episode of unprotected oral (recieved a blowjob).

The doctor prescribed me 2 grams Azithromycin 1 day after the encounter followed by 400 gms Cefixime the following day (i.e. 2 days after). He said this was a prophylaxis (?) against gonorrhea and chlamydia and syphillis.

Is this correct? Do I need to test for these STDs because it is very difficult to go to a STD clinic here.

1 day after the Cefixime, I feel a strange irritating sensation at the tip of my penis, so just wondering if this "preventive" cocktail really works.

The doctor said I should take the same "cocktail" exactly one week after the first dosage just to be absolutely sure.

What do you think of all this?

Thanks,

T.V.

Hi T.V.,

Is this correct? No, I would not recommend such empiric treatment for "an episode of unprotected oral." Yes, the dose of azithromycin would treat a confirmed case of Chlamydia and yes, cefixime can be used to treat resistant strains of gonorrhea. Neither of these drugs is recommended for treatment of syphilis. I would not refer to this type of treatment as a "preventative" cocktail, but rather as an inappropriate use of antibiotics! That doctor is not doing you any favors and I would suggest you find one who is more competent! STD testing and treatment guidelines are readily available and do not require a rocket scientist to properly interpret and implement them!

FORMER WORRIED WELL
UPDATE to May 19, Multiple Inclusive report