Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Safe Sex Covers More Than HIV, Right?
Jun 21, 2008

Hi Doc,

I had an episode of unprotected oral (recieved a blowjob).

The doctor prescribed me 2 grams Azithromycin 1 day after the encounter followed by 400 gms Cefixime the following day (i.e. 2 days after). He said this was a prophylaxis (?) against gonorrhea and chlamydia and syphillis.

Is this correct? Do I need to test for these STDs because it is very difficult to go to a STD clinic here.

1 day after the Cefixime, I feel a strange irritating sensation at the tip of my penis, so just wondering if this "preventive" cocktail really works.

The doctor said I should take the same "cocktail" exactly one week after the first dosage just to be absolutely sure.

What do you think of all this?

Thanks,

T.V.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi T.V.,

Is this correct? No, I would not recommend such empiric treatment for "an episode of unprotected oral." Yes, the dose of azithromycin would treat a confirmed case of Chlamydia and yes, cefixime can be used to treat resistant strains of gonorrhea. Neither of these drugs is recommended for treatment of syphilis. I would not refer to this type of treatment as a "preventative" cocktail, but rather as an inappropriate use of antibiotics! That doctor is not doing you any favors and I would suggest you find one who is more competent! STD testing and treatment guidelines are readily available and do not require a rocket scientist to properly interpret and implement them!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
FORMER WORRIED WELL
Next
UPDATE to May 19, Multiple Inclusive report

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.