FORMER WORRIED WELL

Hi Dr Bob

First of all may I congratulate you again on all of your great work.

I hope you can find a moment to have a look at my question. A year ago in November I had relations with a prostitute in Amsterdam. It was on a stag do and I had had a little too much to drink and also had a smoke (something I was not used to!). As you can imagine the whole encounter was a bit fuzzy to say the least! I do recall a condom being put on my penis by the prosititute but I do not recall if it stayed there. Anyway, I went through the usual worried well business, where every symptom was, in my mind, confirmed HIV! I waited 14 weeks (12 weeks being the recommended, I believe) and had an HIV test which came back as negative. Wooo Hoo indeed!!! However, we are now 19 months down the line and I have developed a number of small white bumps in my mouth and on my tongue. I have also recently developed a small white bump on the glans of my Penis. Now all of the worry has come back. I read that HPV (warts) in the mouth only occur in severely immunosuppressed individuals. It should be noted that I went to my local G.U.M. clinic and the doctor said she couldn't tell whether the spot on my penis was a wart! Anyway, the long and short of it is I have the following questions (please note that as a reader of your fine pages, I searched the forum first but couldn't find the answer I needed): 1. Could this be HPV received from the prostitute. If so does this mean I had unprotected sex? 2. Should I be a worried well once more and go for another HIV test. Is it not 1% of people who need to wait 6 months. 3. I now have a 14 month old daughter I am worried that I can give her HPv of the mouth by tasting he food before feeding her of kissing her goodnight. I reaslise you are an extremely busy man. I would be grateful if you will spend a few minutes to give me a reply or at least direct me to a web page or something where my answers can be obtained.

Your fondly

Worried but well (at the moment)

Hello Worried But Well,

1. Stop jumping to conclusions! You don't even know what the "white bumps" are and I certainly can't diagnose them over the Internet. I suggest you see a dermatologist to get a firm diagnosis. Once you have a diagnosis, the treatment plan will be clear. HPV is transmitted very differently than HIV! HPV can be acquired by mere skin-to-skin contact.

2. Your 14-week negative HIV test is definitive. I see no reason to repeat it. However, if you're worried, you could always get another test to calm your fears. It will undoubtedly be negative.

3. What did I tell you in question #1? Stop jumping to conclusions!

small amount of donation from india
Safe Sex Covers More Than HIV, Right?