Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Delaying starting meds
Jun 20, 2008

Guess who? It's your Alabama Gal! lol

Quick question: Tomorrow is when I'll discover what my resistance is and which meds to begin on. I'm going to Calif for my parents 50th and family union at the end of July thru first week of Aug. Realizing that there is an adjustment period to starting any medication for any condition...in your opinion do you feel it would be a vaiable decision to put off starting meds until I return back home? I fear that any side effects and anxiety over med schedules etc might dampen the spirit to which I wish to have during this fun and exciting vacation. Could putting off begining treatment for a few weeks be a choice I can feel comfortable with? 6 weeks ago stats...Vl 10,000...and CD4 246...and a definite sudden decline with percent.

Keep supporting me Dr. Bob...you make my world go from twisting/twirley to somewhat sane!

Thank you...answer as soon as you are able...time is not my allie at this particular time. I want to go on my trip without feeling I am neglecting what is best for me...yet I want to be able to enjoy it as if what is can wait with no logistical problems.1

Too much to ask? So what...I'm asking!! lol

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Alabama Gal,

While I doubt there would be any significant negative consequences to your waiting to begin your regimen until after your vacation, I really don't believe there is any real reason to wait. You have a full month to adjust to your mediations before heading to California. That should be plenty of time. Besides, many of the newer regimens are much more convenient to take and better tolerated than the older ones. In fact, you may even feel significantly better on your medications! Consequently, my vote would be to get started now and enjoy your California getaway with the comforting thought that your medications are doing some serious ass-kicking of your HIV infection!

Safe travels. Bon voyage!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Why PEP affects the window period?
Next
How to engage safely in petting with oil? (DOUBLE BAGGING) (USING TWO CONDOMS)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.