What do you think about a test at 5 months???? (HEPATITIS C AND DELAYED HIV SEROCONVERSION)

Dr. Bob, Hello good doctor, I am a long time reader of the forum. You helped me out years ago and I am still grateful for your assisstance. More importantly, how are you doing? Are you feeling good? I hope you and Steve are still together, and that things are well.

To my question, I had an exposure and I decided to follow the guidelines of a 3 month test. So I got a test at 15 weeks and it was negative. I wooooohoooood and it was great. However, I came across a situation where I read that things like Hep C, and other things could delay the HIV antibodies. So if I get a test at 5 months, around 23 weeks, and if it is negative, would I be in the clear? Thanks Dr. Bob!

Welcome back to the forum.

Your WOO-HOO is definitive, conclusive and Dr. Bob-certified, OK?

The whole hepatitis C story has been blown way, way, way out of proportion. See below. If you don't have active hepatitis C (you'd be sick if you did!), you certainly don't have to worry about the remote possibility of Hepatitis C extending the normal HIV window period.

As for Steve, yep, we're still together. In fact, thanks to the recent decision by the California Supreme Court, we're now engaged!

Be well. (Yes, you are indeed well!)

I REALLY NEED YOU!!!! (HEPATITIS C AND DELAYED HIV SEROCONVERSION) May 20, 2008

Dr. Bob, I asked you awhile back if HEP C would delay HIV seroconversion.

You said that HEP C would not delay HIV seroconversion! However, Dr. McGovern of the body says that HEP C will delay the HIV window period and that someone who was exposed to both should wait until 6 months to 1 year!!!! Before getting a result!

What's up with that????

Now I know my risk (sharing dollar bill to sniff cocaine) was a low risk incident but what should I do????

I got tested for HEP C at 14 weeks....NEGATIVE!

And HIV at 15 and 17 weeks!!!! NEGATIVE

What should I do???? I think that I am ok and then I hear this stuff!?

No, you don't really need me! What you really need is to pay more attention to what both Dr. McGovern and I have told you on multiple occasions: You are HIV negative. I may need to put a restraining order out on you if you continue to ask your same question over and over again in multiple forums. Come on guy! Give it up! Accept the truly wonderful news you're HIV negative and give other worriers a chance to have their concerns addressed, OK?

This is the last time I'm going to go over this information with you, so pay attention! The Centers for Disease Control has published guidelines for health care workers who sustain a significant occupational exposure to a patient coinfected with HIV and hepatitis C viruses. (This is a far cry from snorting coke through a rolled-up Ben Franklin!) The health care worker guidelines for occupational exposure to coinfected patients suggest HIV-antibody testing at baseline, six weeks and twelve weeks after exposure. There is a caveat, however: If, and I must stress this "if," the health care worker develops acute hepatitis C infection, then and only then (I also stress the "then and only then") would additional HIV-antibody testing be recommend. In this case, and only in this case, are HIV tests out to 12 months recommended. Put another way, if the health care worker does not get ill with acute hepatitis C infection, additional tests would not be recommended!

You have tested hepatitis C negative out to 14 weeks. You do not have acute hepatitis C infection. Hence even if you were a health care worker with documented significant exposure to a coinfected patient, you would not need additional HIV testing. I just can't make it any plainer or clearer than that. Those are the facts, plain and simple. How you choose to live with the incontrovertible evidence that you do not have hepatitis C and that you are conclusively HIV negative is now up to you.

So, I'm signing off on this case permanently. If you require additional reassurance, you can either reread my many (too many) responses to your repetitive and ongoing unwarranted worries or you can seek psychological help. Your problem is not virological; it's psychological!

I'll repost Dr. McGovern's and my responses to you below. We are in absolute agreement!

Can you please tell me if my test results are conclusive???? May 9, 2008

Hello, I emailed you a few weeks ago about sharing a dollar bill to sniff cocaine!( Since I have never touched the stuff!!!!)

Anyway, I got a blood test from my doctor and my test came out negative!!!! This was 14 weeks after sharing the dollar bill.

I also got tested for HIV and that was negative!!!!

So in conclusion, would you say that my negative test results are conclusive? Can I forget all about this?

The risk of HCV transmission through sharing a dollar bill is very low. With this negative blood test, I would suggest that you have had adequate testing.

Remember also that cocaine can lead to heart attacks.

Dr. Bob 3rd time asking......donation coming if you answer! Feb 11, 2008

Dr, Bob I hope you answer this Dr. Bob because I have asked numerous times....

My only fears involving HIV is that I shared a dollar bill to sniff cocaine with a group of people...what would the chances be of getting HIV from this? Has it ever happened? What if there was blood on the dollar bill and I didn't notice? Should I get tested? Not due to fears but scientifically speaking.

My second question is....is it possible to get HIV from deep kissing? I have a moderate case of Gingivitis? I was out drinking alcohol and made out with a girl. What are the chances? I know it happened once right? With that married couple in 1997?

Oh and are 3 month tests conclusive?

Please help and I will send a donation!

1. Theoretical chances of contracting HIV via rolled-up-dollar-bill coke sniffing would be negligible to nonexistent. Has it ever happened? Not to my knowledge. However, please note we haven't run studies on this, as the Investigative Review Board and ethics committee would tend to frown on such a clinical trial. Testing would be primarily to put your residual fears permanently to rest.

2. Kissing is not considered to be a significant risk for HIV transmission, even with a moderate case of gingivitis. Once again, if you're worried, get tested! You'll have an accurate result in less than 20 minutes with a rapid test.

3. Yep, three months is conclusive, unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Thanks for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org).

One final piece of advice: Things don't go better with coke! I recommend strongly you stop.

Be well.

Concerned question from a paranoid LA girl!!!
Med student suffering from Hiv anxiety and greetings from Argentina