Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Concerned question from a paranoid LA girl!!!
Jun 20, 2008

i normally am a paranoid freak :) BUT i thought i would ask you to verify for me :-)

I had a blood test several weeks ago...1 month acutally and have been having headaches and severe intestinal disturbances. My issue, concern rather, is the needle which was used to draw my blood. I had it taken at a local hospital but had a strange feeling about the needle that was being used. I asked her (nurse) if she cleaned the needle and she said, "honey we dont clean them. we use new ones"

still though...i had a strange feeling. So what are your thoughts?? Am I just an overactive, paranoid girl or should there be a reasonable concern here?

Thanks again.

On another note, I remember seeing your name somewhere. Are you a musician?? Or perhaps one of my guy friends had a crush on you. There is something else you can do for the medical field..research why all the straight guys are jerks!!! You could make billions on that one!! Luv ya and thanks again Bob!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

So you clearly realize that you are "a paranoid freak" and you want me to verify this for you???? Strange request, but OK. I hereby certify you an absolute and total paranoid freak, OK?

Regarding blood tests, the nurse was absolutely correct: Needles are never reused, except perhaps by street junkies shooting heroin! Consequently, your fears are completely irrational and totally unwarranted. OK? By the way, don't think you are alone in having this particular paranoid fear. Just check the archives and you'll find gazillions of other paranoid freaks concerned about the unrealistic possibility of reused needles, reused cotton balls, reused Band-Aids, reused rubber gloves, etc., etc., etc. I'm actually amazed someone hasn't freaked out when they realized I'm HIV positive, fearing that they could contract the virus through their computer by cyber-communicating with me.

As for your "another note," yep, I'm a musician, pianist to be exact. I give concerts along with my fiancé Steve. (I can say fiancé now, due to the California Supreme Court's decision allowing same-sex marriage! Yeah!) Steve is Dr. Steve, the expert in The Body's Tratamientos forum. He and I give concerts to raise money for needy AIDS organizations worldwide. (Check out www.concertedeffort.org.) As for the possibility of your friend having a crush on me, well, I guess you'll have to ask him about that.

Finally, as far as my doing research on "why all straight guys are jerks," well, I'd rather remove my ears with a cheese grater.

Luv you too doll.

Be well. Stop worrying so much. It makes your forehead all wrinkly.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV Testing with Military Inoculations
Next
What do you think about a test at 5 months???? (HEPATITIS C AND DELAYED HIV SEROCONVERSION)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.