Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Transmission Paranoia and Anxiety
Jun 18, 2008

Dear Dr. Frascino,

Please excuse me if I have trouble writing out a cohesive and formulated question but hopefully you will be able to understand what I am asking and help me (and others who may suffer from the same problem).

I fear that I suffer from severe anxiety regarding the transmission of STDs (most specifically HIV)

Im very familiar with the methods of transmitting HIV from one person to another however, the small, remote possibilities of transmission (i.e. blood in the mouth of a partner while receiving oral sex or during deep kissing, etc) recur in my mind after Ive been with someone. Its usually never a rational thought but the possibility that it could have occurred (that the blood could have been there and I didnt notice it at the time) haunts me for three months until I get tested.

This paranoia and anxiety has been an issue for me since I became sexual active and Ive noticed it become more and more intense meaning sexual acts that once did not seem to scare me (mutual masturbation) now seem impossible to engage in for the fear of catching an STD.

Ive spoken to an HIV counselor about this and he said it was better to side with safety but I feel like its controlling my sexual life and Im no longer able to enjoy being with someone.

Any help on what to do or who to speak to would be incredibly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You "fear" that you "suffer from severe anxiety regarding the transmission of STDs/HIV"??? Hmm . . . fear on top of severe anxiety; that's a whole lotta worrying going on!

There is no doubt you have excellent insight into your true problem: "This paranoia and anxiety has been an issue for me since I became sexually active." My advice is that you consult a psychiatrist (or psychologist) to help you confront and conquer your totally irrational and completely unwarranted fears related to STDs/ HIV. I do not believe you will be able to handle this very real problem without professional help.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Cut on the finger - worried father (your advice is life saving medicine to me)
Next
HIV Testing with Military Inoculations

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.