Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Meds and testing??
Jun 17, 2008

Hello Doc,

I would first like to say what a great job you do on this site...I have a quick question for you, I had a sexual encounter in China that started out with a condombut not too sure if it ended with one (a few too many cocktails!) but I did go for testing. I went at 7 weeks which was negative and than again at about 14 weeks again negative. I am on Diovan for my blood pressure and starting about a month from my 14 week test I started taking 3x81mg of aspirins (daily dose ones) until I mentioned it to my doc and he said if I want I can take one but I do not need 3, although he said it would not kill me he just said it was not needed. I also am from canada and had the insti HIV test that is approved in canada and europe and seeking approval in US (not sure if you are familiar with this test but health canada ensures that it is 99.96% accurate). now to my questions...1) could the Diovan or the 283mg of aspirin a day for about a month cause a false negative or can I run naked down the street in joy??..also I was wondering if the rapid test would be accurate?..Thank you very much adn I would love to send a donation to help your amazing cause..but was wondering how I make a credit card donation?, thanks again.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Neither blood pressure medications nor aspirin will affect HIV-test results. A rapid HIV test taken outside the window period (three months) is considered to be a definitive negative. Yes, it's accurate. So, I guess there is only one thing left to do: Strip down and run naked through the streets yelling WOO-HOO. OK?

Thanks for your desire to make a donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. Donation information, including how to make a credit card donation online, can be found on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org.

Be well! Stay well! And do try not to get caught for indecent exposure while WOO-HOOing.

Dr. Bob

Previous
hey doctor
Next
Prevention and Testing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.