Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Staph Infection? HIV? Help?
Jun 12, 2008

I tend to send you these things every few months or so with hopes that one day you'll go ahead and reassure me that I can Woo-Hoo and move on with my life without dissecting each and every bump and cough I have, even though I've probably already read it in the archives.

I'm not upset at all about not being responded to. There are hundreds more like me sending you questions every day. But I am persistent! :-)

Several years ago...6ish, I believe, I had unprotected vaginal intercourse with a man who was a paramedic.

Several years went by and one day - out of the blue - I became convinced I had acquired HIV from him. Thus began the checking for swollen nodes, taking my temp every hour, crying myself to sleep, etc.

Finally, after a good year of worrying, I had an OraQuick test done at an AIDs outreach center. 20 minutes later I found out I was negative.

That reassured me for a while until I became convinced their was an error in the test. Had I swabbed my gums too much? Not enough?

I was able to reassure myself from the archives that I was fine. Still, I had lingering doubts occasionally when I would get a cold or bronchitis. I was SURE I had AIDS last year when I got pneumonia.

I've been fine up until now when I somehow developed a staph infection under the skin and in the tissue in my leg. The ER doc said it was possibly from a spider bite and put me on strong antibiotics.

I go home, satisfied with his answer, but Google "staph infections" to see what more I can learn and what do I find?

Yep, dozens of websites saying that persons with HIV/AIDS tend to get staph infections more than the regular Joe. (Or Jane, in my case.)

And now I have a cough again. I'm sure you can see where this has led me back to.

Your bluntness and wit have amused me in the years I've visited this forum. If you could possibly use that now to tell me I can Woo-Hoo, stop harassing you, and perhaps even see a shrink, I would greatly appreciate it!

If not, I'll get over this one and plug along until next year or so when something bothers me and I'll send you another e-mail hoping to get a woo-hoo. :-)

Thank you for all that you do. I'm not sure if you read all of these, but I hope you know how much you are admired by me and the others you help.

Have a wonderful day!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

First of all, yes, I really do read all the posts!

Next, HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. "Fear of being HIV infected" is your problem. You need to stop perseverating on a viral infection that you do not have and begin focusing on your very real "irrational fear" problems. So let's try this. Let's role play a scene from "Moonstruck." You'll be Nicholas Cage and I'll be Cher. I then bitch-slap you across the face while yelling "snap out of it!!!" Did that do the trick? If not, then yep, it's time to see the shrink.

Be well. Stay well. Remember, HIV is not your problem, OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
I'll donate 150 from my next pay check
Next
Negative test question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.