Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

False Negative or Some Serious Guilt? Retesting or a highly paid therapist? (3 hours of research a night is killing me slowly) Donations shall be made
Jun 12, 2008

I had unprotected sex (never ever again) on Dec. 8, 2007. It was vaginal. I got tested on or around Jan 22, 2008 with a unigold rapid hiv test which came came back negative. I was tested again (after some serious arguing with the planned parenthood employees who said they wouldnt test me again) with another unigold rapid test on March 26, 2008 (at about 15.5 weeks).

I know you often say this is conclusive and while I should believe the test result I seem to have trouble shaking the idea that it is a false negative. I spend about 3 hours a night reading about HIV on the internet, which could be doing more damage than good. I think perhaps my apprehension to believe the result is because this was an indiscretion in a relationship and I have trouble believing that I can do something like that and not be punished (karma I suppose).

Do I need retesting or just a good therapist?

I will of course be making a donation, your positive and often humorous responses have kept me from going crazy

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Question: Do you need retesting or just a good highly paid therapist? Answer: A good highly paid therapist, definitely a good highly paid therapist.

Your two negative HIV tests out to 15.5 weeks are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

Don't be so hard on yourself. We are all only human. That means we all make mistakes, even yours truly. If I think back over the years, some of my "indiscretions" would probably make your hair curl (if it's not curly already). Karma is not going to bite you in the ass just for being human. What's important is that we recognize and admit our mistakes, accept the consequences of our actions and learn from our mistakes.

It's time you stopped worrying and started WOO-HOOing. You dodged the HIV bullet. Thanks for your tax-deductible donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated.

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Negative Tests after 10 years
Next
venezuela is different

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.