It's me again, I need my sanity back I've lost my mind

Sorry Doc,

I guess this is it, I've admitted to losing my sanity which means I am on my road to healing.

Ok I understand the concept it wasnt that difficult; now I am really getting confused since my mom is certain that I got chicken pox as a child and I also have a vivid memory of the encounter I was about 9 years old, and my recent encounter was definitely chicken pox (At first, the rash looked like pinkish dots that quickly developed a small blister on top. After about 24 to 48 hours, the fluid in the blisters got cloudy and the blisters begin to crust over, I also had flue symptoms.

I am thinking maybe I should go for that HIV test, since my sexual partner 6 years ago found out he was positive, I also concluded that I was also pos, biggest mistake I realize I could be wrong, What have I done Doc, I dont know where to go from here. This is a mess, I am sorry doc for wasting your time and I am sorry I am a disappointment, this hasnt been easy for me, you dont understand Doc the past 6 years have been a misery for me.

The funny part is if my question will ever be answered it's going to be archives under funny questions , and most of the time when I visit the site I go to funny questions just to cheer myself up when I am feeling low, because I really like your sense of humor. I have so much respect for you doc, and I value your opinion, I think youre the best there ever was, I wish you can be my HIV specialist if it turns out that I am indeed pos, now I just have to take the first step (getting the rapid tested) then I can have back m sanity, because at this point I dont think I am sane.

By the way my GP reckons that it is possible to get chicken pox twice, although it is a very rare occurrence but it happens. So I explained to her that I had the impression that it comes back as shingles, got the information on your website of course. She even siad that chicken pox is an HIV related illness. I am puzzled!!!!!!

Chicken pox & HIV Jun 9, 2008

Hi DOc,

I am sending you a repost seeing that I didn't get a reply from you. I understand you have thousands of other posts to reply so no hard feelings, but I've checked on the archives there's nothing relevant to my question.

Question: I am a HIV positive female of 25 years of age Ive been diagnosed 6 years ago, I developed chicken pox as a child, and it came back last week, went to my GP gave and she gave an injection and antibiotics, so I am healing quite well, my worry is, I would like to know if my immune system has been compromised as a result. Overall I feel fine and I am not on meds yet.

Thanks for the good work doc, best of luck and I wish you a 100 years of lifespan, youre truly a remarkable human being, I mean it.

Stay Well, Your Die Hard Fan

Hi Die Hard,

I'm a bit perplexed by your post and that's why I didn't answer it previously. I'll try to explain. If you indeed had chicken pox in childhood, generally speaking you do not get it again as an adult, because you develop long-term immunity to the varicella-zoster virus. If it recurs, it may do so in the form of "shingles," which is a painful reactivation of the virus that generally involves only a very specific area of the body.

That your GP gave you "an injection and antibiotics" is puzzling, as varicella-zoster is a virus and therefore would not respond to antibacterial antibiotics. Perhaps your rash became secondarily infected with a bacteria and he was treating this complication. I also have no idea what the "injection" was. So, in essence I'm not exactly sure what's going on with you. I would suggest you address your question to your HIV specialist. He is in the best position to advise you on the state of your immune system. To answer your question in general, no, an immune system would not be expected to be compromised as a consequence of varicella-zoster. However, the reverse is true. A compromised immune system (due to HIV, cancer, chemotherapy, radiation, immunosuppressants, etc.) makes it more likely for someone to have a reactivation of varicella-zoster. I realize this is a bit confusing, but I hope you understand the concept.

Your sexual partner six years ago found out he was positive, so you "concluded" that you were also positive? Why would you do that? Didn't they teach you anything about HIV/AIDS in school???? Oh yeah, sorry, I almost forgot. They really don't teach anything useful about HIV/AIDS in school anymore, thanks to Dubya's disastrous abstinence-only-until-marriage sex mis-education program!!! Is it Obama's turn yet??? It's so amazing that Obama is an entire universe away from Dubya in terms of quality, integrity, intelligence, common sense and overall inspirational energy. Then again, so is your dog. But I digress. Back to your problem.

Dearies, it's time to stop all this drama and second guessing. Stop fretting about chickenpox. It doesn't really matter. Just go get the damn test, OK?

Second Posting, Really Could Use Your Help Dr. Bob, Please
Iam a working boy (DISCLOSURE LAWS)