Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

how to recognize lambskin condom
Jun 10, 2008

Hi! Doc,

I would like to know if there is a way to recognize a lambskin condom from a regular latex one. My story is I had protected vaginall and anal sex with a cws. I had my lifestyles condoms but she prefered to use her own (maybe she doesn't trust her client and want to be extra safe). We had intercourse with the condom that she provided. Since the light was dimed I could not really see the plastic wraping of her condom. The condom looked like latex and it had a reservoir tip. I live in Canada and I think that only Trojan natural lamb are sold on the market and I know what they looked like. The Trojan lambskin does not have a reservoir tip and has some kind of lace at the base. I was worried about this so I e-mailed the csw and informed her of my worries, she said it was latex and that the reason the plastic wrapper of the condom was grey (the plastic wrapper of my lifestyle condoms were red, lubricated brand)was because her's was 2mm width (i think). I remember that her plastic wrapper was more of a blue or dark colour so now I think that she is lying and maybe has something to hide. She told me that the lifestyles condom we used is sold in a light grey box and she told me that I could go to any pharmacy and I'll find them. I know that brand exist since I only use lifestyles condom but her condom was in a dark blue or black wraping.

I would like you to tell me if it is possible to recognize a lambskin condom from a latex one. Do all lambskin condoms have no reservoir tip like the Trojan Naturalamb.

Thanks in advance, donation on the way.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Natural lambskin condoms both look and feel different than latex or polyurethane. Buy some and check them out for yourself. I can't really comment on the color of the packaging in Canada. Besides, that can change at anytime for marketing purposes.

The story the CSW told you sounds completely reasonable to me and I do believe she insisted on her own condom to protect herself, not to infect you! Why would she put herself at risk by using a lambskin condom? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. And don't even start to tell me that you think she is a crazed HIV-positive maniac who is purposely trying to infect her clients out of revenge or some nonsense like that. I just don't buy it (and I've heard similar paranoid delusions many times before from guilt-ridden, anxiety-prone conspiracy theorists!). I believe your worries are unjustified. However, if you continue to be concerned, get a single rapid HIV test at the three-month mark to quell your irrational fears, OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
pretty pls with sugar on top
Next
Neg at 6-weeks after oral sex- still worried...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.