high risk high donation

dear doc i want to first tell you that the advice and info you provide on here is priceless you are the man!! i had a very very very high risk encounter i got drunk blacked out and i had sex with a csw who injected drugs in vietnam 3 weeks after returning all symptoms of ars fever,sore throat,swollen lymph nodes,sweaty palms,night sweats etc. my wife who i slept with after returning 3 weeks later had a rash that looks like hives and a sore throat which lasted a month then mysteriously disapeared i got tested at 8,11,12,15 weeks with oraquick and elisa my wife tested at 6 weeks elisa all neg i know that 3 months is considered conclusive but how do i know i dont fall in the rare categorie of late seroconverison? i have had high liver enzymes cholesterol and stomach problems for the last 3-4 years and i was hospitalized for a month last year from steven johnsons syndrome will any of these health factors effect my testing time? also with the tests here in the us will they pick up hiv that is found in vietnam or should i get a pcr test done? i called the san francisco hiv hotline and the guy said you can not be 100 percent sure you dont have hiv until 6 months is this true? thank you very much for your help doc i will make another big donation to you!

Late seroconversion is an extremely rare phenomenon and there is generally an underlying cause for it occurring. I see no reason why you should doubt the validity of your repeatedly negative HIV tests out to 15 weeks. None of the medical conditions you mentioned in your post would affect HIV test results. The six-month testing recommendation is from older sets of guidelines. With improvement in testing techniques, most HIV specialists now consider three months to be adequate. If you wish to retest again at six months, that option is always open to you. Personally I don't feel it's necessary. I also do not recommend PCR testing for routine HIV screening. Finally, my recommendations remain the same, whether your potential exposure was in Vietnam or the U.S. Although I can't diagnose the cause of your initial symptoms or your wife's hive-like rash, what I can do is advise you with great certainty that HIV is not the cause. My advice is that you stop worrying and start WOO-HOOing!

Thanks for the "high risk donation" to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Be well.

Whooperdiewoohoo
mortality rates