Five Straight Hours and Counting

I just read every question in your forum back to August 27, 2007. I'm crossing my fingers that will convince you to answer my question because I'm starting to feel like I'm stalking you. So here goes (again). I took PEP 58 hours after an exposure. I took antibody tests at 5, 8, 13, 17 and 23 weeks post-exposure. The clinic says I'm in the clear (and in fact suggested I was clear at 3 months)but I continue to have symptoms on and off (hair loss, occasional fever, a rash here, a sore throat there etc.) The doctor's assistant will not even let me make another appointment (instead suggesting I see a mental health specialist). Seeing as I can't get past Nurse Gestapo to talk to the infectious disease specialist, can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me out? I promise I'll never bother you again. I'll be donating $150 from my June 15 pay.

Sure, I'll help you out. Exactly what part of "you are HIV negative" are you having difficulty understanding?

Your repeatedly negative HIV tests out to 23 weeks (and post-PEP) are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. Whatever is causing your "on and off" symptoms, one thing is certain: It's not HIV, OK?

I'm not at all pleased that you are not able to get past Nurse Gestapo to make an appointment with a doctor! That's absurd! Even if you do need psychological counseling due to irrational fears of being HIV infected (and I too think this might be a very good idea), there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to make a follow-up appointment with the I.D. specialist!

I don't know if your health plan or insurance company may be blocking the visit, but I certainly hope an HIV specialist isn't. (Not all infectious diseases doctors are HIV specialists.)

So, you can stalk me all you want. You can even make an appointment at the Frascino Medical Group (650-917-1357), if you want. There is no reason you shouldn't be given the information and reassurance you request from an HIV specialist who has been following your case (or another specialist if need be).

My advice now is that you stop worrying and begin WOO-HOOing!

Thanks for your tax-deductible gift to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It will help those who were not as fortunate as you in dodging the HIV bullet.

Be well. Stay well. (Yes, indeed, you are well!)

Alone in the States
Whooperdiewoohoo