Alone in the States

Hi Doc,

Please help! I need your advice. I came to the States for a business trip and stupidly picked up an escort at a local bar. She performed 15 sec of unprotected oral sex on me before I stopped her and requested for a condom to be used. I did not have any vaginal sex with her as I am fearful of the risk. After that, I start to worry about the 15s of unprotected oral sex. I am very scared that I will be infected.

Doc, what are my risk? Do I need hiv testing? What other stds do I need to look out for regarding my exposure? I will donate to your organisation again and I am so glad you are always around for idiots like me. Thanks.

The HIV/STD risk of 15 seconds of insertive oral sex with an escort of unknown HIV serostatus is negligible at best. Many wouldn't even recommend screening; however, if you are worried, a single rapid HIV test at the three-month mark will give an accurate result and put any residual worries permanently to rest. Please realize the primary reason to get this test is only to calm your mind. The results will undoubtedly be negative.

As for other STDs, your general medicine doctor can easily run a routine screen. Again, your risk is extremely low from such a minimal exposure.

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org)!

Be well. (I'm confident you are indeed well!)

Do I need to test again?
Five Straight Hours and Counting