Fingering w/ blood on finger GO OBAMA!!

Hi Doc Gorgeous Bob:

I had written to you a few years ago about my possible exposure. I fingered a Sex Worker and afterwords realized that I had fresh blood on the finger from a previous injury.

After she left my room, I realized that the bleeding finger was still bleeding and yes that's the same damn finger that had entered her vagina.

Freaked out for 5 minutes MAX and then forgot about it until 5 weeks later when I came down w/ the strangest bout of fatigue, rashes on chest, bleeding gums and low grade fever (99-100). This went on for a week so I decided to get tested by Quest. Mind you that back in the early 2000's they were and are still using the Viral Lyzate or 1st generation testing method. After 6 weeks from exposure I was NEGATIVE. No problem there except that I was still chronically fatighed, gums bleeding , rashed on chest etc,

Still scared went and got another test through Quest at 14 weeks. It's also negative,

24 1/2 weeks later, still feeling like crap w/ swollen nodes etc I have another test at 24 1/2 weeks. Basic Elisa via Quest. It's negative,

Still feel like crap so I go to my primary, sit on his desk and informed him that I will camp out until he figured out whats wrong we me.He's pissed cause I had 3 HIV tests and feels that I wasting recources. POO-POO to him

He ran a few tests including H. Pilory. The H. Pilori was positive. After a long antibiotic treatment, my life changed. The fatigue was gone and I feel great.

Now assuming that I was infected in 2001 and are in that abyss before symptoms showup, how long before initial HIV infection to AIDS definig illneses.

If I had HIV wouldn't have it shown up by now by some type of oppurtunistic illnes?

My annual $200 donation is forthcoming

I like your idea of camping out on your doctor's desk until he figures out what's wrong! Your story points out a very important point. You continued to feel like crap despite multiple negative HIV tests, fearing that you might still be positive when in reality you had a perfectly good reason to feel like crap and it wasn't HIV. It was H. pylori. The problem with many folks who write into this forum is that they are fixated on HIV and they fail to consider that their symptoms might be (and in fact very often are) attributable to a completely different underlying condition. Because of the HIV fixation, the time to recognizing and diagnosing the actual cause of the symptoms is often very delayed.

So you've had repeatedly negative HIV tests out to 24.5 weeks, all of which have been negative. Your H. pylori was diagnosed and treated. Your fatigue and other symptoms resolved and you feel great. So WOO-HOO! But wait, there is more to your post . . . . "Now assuming I was infected in 2001 . . . ." WHAT??????? HELLO!!!! Haven't you been paying attention? Your negative HIV tests are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how! How the hell can we assume you were infected when we've definitively proved you weren't???? Your post also points out another common problem. Some folks who have overwhelming and irrefutable evidence they are HIV negative continue to worry and perseverate on an illness they could not possibly have.

To address your question we'll have to turn it into a hypothetical situation. We'll have to assume someone seroconverted in 2001 and you are asking if that person who did not have any HIV treatment or follow-up would have AIDS-defining opportunistic infections or other illnesses related to progressive immunodeficiency 7 years later. Right? That's the hypothetical "what if" question you wanted to know, because you fully realize you are HIV negative, right? Of course right! OK, back to the question. The answer would be "no, not necessarily." After HIV primary infection and the acute retroviral syndrome, HIV pozitoids can remain essentially symptoms-free, up to a decade in some cases. Obviously there is considerable variability from case to case. But remember, none of this is relevant to your situation, OK?

Thanks for your tax-deductible donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Be well. Stay well.

Worried Scotsman - "Dogging" exposure
Window period