Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CAN I WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO?????? 5TH TIME ASKING GOODLOOKIN!
Jun 9, 2008

Hello Dr. Bob I hope you are doing well! I have been a long time reader of this forum but now I would like to ask my first and last questions!

I will be brief because it is quite obvious that you are a busy man. I had 2 sexual exposures about 3 months ago and I have tested numerous times and they have all come out negative. However, since you give out WOOOHOOO's, I thought I would ask to make sure that I can scream wooohooo out the window.

1) After my first exposure I got a test at 19 weeks and it was negative!The test I used was an oraquick mouth test.

2)After the second exposure I got tested at 16 weeks with the same method and that was negative!

3)How conclusive is a test at 3 months?

4)Can anything delay or affect an HIV test, or delay HIV seroconversion? I was thinking maybe HBV,Hepatitis C,or any other type of STD that a person might have. I just want to make sure that my HIV tests are conclusive before I start a new relationship.

Thank you for your help and I hope I can WOOOOHOOO!

P.S. Your website is really popular because 3 of my friends showed me this site! You are a famous, great,and kind man!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

I'll cut to the chase. Here's what you need to do:

1. Open window.

2. Scream WOO-HOO-YABBA-DABBA-DO like a banshee in heat.

3. Close window.

4. Come up with an explanation for your neighbors as to why you are screaming out your window.

To address your specific questions (the answers to which are all already in the archives, by the way):

1. A negative test three months after a potential exposure is considered definitive and conclusive (and WOO-HOOable).

2. A negative test three months after a potential exposure is considered definitive and conclusive (and WOO-HOOable). Didn't I just say that already????

3. A negative test three months after a potential exposure is considered definitive and conclusive (and WOO-HOOable). Is there any echo in here or what? Or what? Or what? Or what? . . . .

(The take-home message from question 1, 2 and 3 is obviously that you need an HIV test three months after your last potential exposure. That test will also suffice for all previous "sins." (Sexual indiscretions? Lapses of judgment? You can use whatever aphorism you like.)

4. Describing or commenting on all the potentially extremely rare extenuating circumstances that could possibly "delay or affect an HIV test" would be a major task. My response would depend on just how "extremely rare" the extenuating circumstance you wish to consider happens to be. As an analogy, do you worry about being struck dead by an errant lightening bolt every time you walk outside in the rain? Well perhaps you might consider it, but do you also worry about being squashed by a falling meteorite when you take the dog for a walk? I have discussed most of the "extenuating circumstances" that could affect HIV tests a number of times. You can review that information by reading the chapter in the archives devoted to HIV tests and results. If you had an extenuating circumstance that could affect an HIV antibody test, chances are you would know it! So don't doubt your WOO-HOO! Just enjoy it, OK?

Finally, just because three of your friends like reading about wacky sexual experiences on this Web site, doesn't exactly make me "famous" or "really popular." But it does mean you have some really cool friends in my opinion!

Stay well. Tell your buddies "hey" from me, OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
life back
Next
sharing a room with someone who is HIV+

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.