A Barrister in Boston (I've read through archives and I don't think my question has been answered yet!)

Dr. Bob, Heres my story: I had sex with a guy for the first time and I ended up inserting and of course I wrapped it. The only thing that I am worried about is that I performed oral on him for 30 seconds with no ejaculation or anything (possible pre-cum I guess).

Within the next two days I started having this weird sensation in one of my feet and it has continued up to now (this all began on April 24th and it is now June 1st). Now I have all these weird sensations of tingles/sometimes numbness feeling in my both my feet and hands. And sometimes I get these weird feelings in my lower legs like someone is splashing me with drops of water. It is so frustrating because it comes and goes and I have never felt anything like this before. I went to my doctor and he told me it sounded like peripheral neuropathy. I know this can be caused by MANY things (including anxiety) and he tested me for B-12, etc. (I'm still waiting for the results).

I have done all the logic out in my head: oral sex is low risk, ARS symptoms so soon is very uncommon, PN during ARS is uncommon, and I have had NO other symptoms. I plan to get tested at the three month mark and am very hopeful for a woo-hoo!

My only question is: If you were to get PN during ARS would this go away within 1-2 weeks like all other symptoms, or would this be permanent even though it was only in ARS?

I really hope you can answer this for me!! You are truly AMAZING and have motivated me to want to do more to help others. The fact that you take so much time out of your day for people is unreal! I am definitely going to donate to your organization and hopefully we can all work on a cure!

Thanks for being you Dr. Bob,

A Barrister in Boston

Hey Barrister in Boston,

I absolutely agree with your assessment: Oral sex is low risk (very low), ARS symptoms within 48 hours would be extremely unlikely (they take weeks, not days, to appear), PN would be uncommon during ARS, PN without any other symptoms would be extremely unlikely, etc.

I'm quite certain you do not have HIV-related PN, based on the time course and the description of your symptoms. I agree once again with your guess that anxiety may be the cause.

As for symptoms and the acute retroviral syndrome (ARS), whether neurologic (such as PN) or otherwise, the symptoms associated with ARS are extremely variable in severity (and even duration) from case to case. In general all ARS symptoms do disappear within several weeks.

Thank you for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated and I'm hopeful that our concerted effort will one day make HIV/AIDS nothing more than a distant memory. In return for your generosity, I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV test will be negative. Once you realize you are definitively and conclusively HIV negative, there's an excellent chance your "symptoms" will magically disappear.

I am a basket case!!
Kiss and drink (mouth to mouth)