Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Witty and Clever Title....PLEASE Read!!!
Jun 2, 2008

Hi Dr. Bob, Hopefully, my title caught you attention because I am in desperate need of your response. I am going out of my mind.

Here's a little background information. I had a night of stupidity that involved me (a woman) receiving oral sex, very brief frottage (I didn't know he was going to do it and stopped him once I realized what was happening) and I gave him a hand job and got semen on my arm and hands. I don't know if I washed my hands before putting my contacts in, so there may have been some still then touching my eye. Anyway I freaked about about HIV a few days later. Waited 4 weeks and took a Home Access test-negative. Then read that 6 weeks was the window period in Mass., so I took a home access then-negative. Then I hit the 4.5 month mark and decided to buy yet another home access test, it too was negative. All was fine and dandy until I developed a yeast infection that would NOT go away and my. It's been with me for months, and my doctor kept saying that HIV could be the cause of a lingering infection. Which again freaked me out because I never tested for HIV-2. So here are my questions. 1)How likely was HIV infection anyway? I have heard you say frottage is no risk, I am assuming that dried semen maybe on my finger when I put in a contact would also be a no risk, but am concerned about the oral. Although I don't understand why if kissing is no risk, why saliva on my vagina would be a risk and not saliva in my mouth. If you want to explain that that would be great. 2). Is my yeast problem possibly caused by HIV? I have read mixed opinions. 3). Is my 4.5 month home access test all of the proof I need to insure I have no HIV-1 or HIV-2? I know you will probably say I have the option to test, but I have tested 3 times already. If it is true please say "There is zero chance you have HIV of any type."

Thank you so much for you time!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

I always was (and apparently continue to be) a sucker for a witty and clever title!

Your HIV-acquisition risk was extremely low (oral sex/frottage). Your repeatedly negative HIV tests out to 4.5 months are definitive and conclusive. I do not feel HIV-2 testing is warranted, even though your Home Access test does not specifically cover HIV-2 infection. Certainly if you want to get HIV-2 screening, it's now readily available. Chronic or recurrent vaginal yeast infections are common and the vast majority of them are not linked to HIV.

To specifically answer your questions:

1. Your HIV risk was negligible at best.

2. No.

3. Yes, for HIV-1. (HIV-2 remains an exceedingly rare condition in the U.S.)

My opinion is that you don't need additional HIV testing, but you may well need a new, more competent, physician!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Just a simple question need answer please
Next
Re:Re HIV and Disability

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.