The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Jun 2, 2008

I have tested positive for Hep C as result of sharing needles. The incident was 3 months ago and I have since tested NEGATIVE for HIV. I have searched the archives and one of your responses states that there are instances where HIV seroconversion can be delayed out to 1 YEAR as a result of Hep C/HIV coinfection. Do you recommend that I get tested at the 6 month and ALSO at the 1 YEAR mark? Thank you for your response.

Response from Dr. Frascino


This issue tends to come up frequently, so I'll try to clarify the current recommendations. The CDC has published guidelines for health care workers who sustain a significant occupational exposure to a patient coinfected with HIV and hepatitis C viruses. These guidelines recommend HIV-antibody testing at baseline and at six and twelve weeks after exposure. There is one caveat, however: If and only if the health care worker develops acute hepatitis C infection, additional HIV-antibody testing is recommended out to 12 months. If we apply these guidelines to the nonoccupational setting, extended HIV screening would be recommended if and only if you developed signs, symptoms and laboratory tests confirming acute hepatitis C (not just testing antibody-positive for hepatitis C virus).

Hope that helps clarify the situation.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Delayed grief...
gay anal sex with two hiv negatives

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint