HIV2? PLEASE Dr. Bob, will donate if you just answer my question once and for all!
May 31, 2008
Please Dr. Bob!!
I just can't rest... :( Please just answer me a few questions and I'll be more than happy to make a donation!
I had a possible exposure (unprotected receptive vaginal sex) months ago, had negative HIV-1 test at 8 weeks, and 5 months, and 7 months... but now almost a year later symptoms have come back and worse, incuding swollen lymph nodes everywhere (doctor told me so...) :(
1)How common is HIV-2 in the US, I can't find any current statistics? Should I be worried?
2)The HIV tests I took only covered HIV-1 (blood tests through planned parenthood, said they sent it to the CDC lab, says HIV-1 EIA on the paper)...., I heard they pick up HIV-2 like 70% of the time... is it likely that if I had HIV-2 the tests would have picked it up?
3)Would you reccomend an HIV-2 test for me?
Thanks sooooooooo much, i really just need to put my mind to rest and start trying to enjoy life again, I just need your WooHoo to move on!!!
Will donate!! just let me know how?
Response from Dr. Frascino
1. HIV-2 remains extremely uncommon in the U.S.
2. Most HIV-1 blood tests will detect 70% to 80% of HIV-2 cases. Specific tests for HIV-2 are readily available in the U.S.
3. I would recommend it only to put your unwarranted HIV fears permanently to rest. So go ahead and get it done. Your WOO-HOO is waiting!
4. Donation information for the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. But you knew that already now, didn't you? Of course you did!
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Rash A Symptom Of Acute HIV Infection?
- Flu Symptoms After Sex With Hooker Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Runny Nose After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Giving Oral Sex What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Severe Back Pain And Vaginal Bleeding
- Accidental Intake Of A Double Dose Of HIV Medication
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.