Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Testing (really important..hope this helps for the rest of you)
May 31, 2008

Okay so i had sexual contact with this guy in october of 2007 and in february of 2008 the blood donation center came to my school and i decided to donate blood i had never really been aware of how common HIV/AIDS could be around me so i started to panic and i spent the worst time waiting for a call from the donating place (it was really the worst) i started researching all about symptoms and everything else..over a two month period or so i started getting night sweats,canker sores,sore throat,weight loss,yeast infection for the first time and all these other symptoms(i went to the doctor and got tested for strep throat and was negative) i really couldnt take it no more..finally i found out that my results came back clean and thankfully my blood was able to be donated to someone who needed it....just when i thought my dreading days were over i was sooo wrong...i started researching even moreeee and i just kept panicking..every thought crossed my mind and i just couldnt stop them..they really were interfering with my everyday life i couldnt do everything i used to do i would either spend my time crying or sleeping..it was so horrible..my mom noticed the change in me and took me to a psychiatrist..after a few visits i was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.. all the thoughts from the internet and stuff that i was reading and just kept thinking about were really killing me..and also before i was diagnosed with those mental disorders i had gotten tested in april of 2008 for hiv and i tested negative but i still couldnt shake it off..im taking Luvox and Xanax right now for about two weeks and i am taking cognitive therapy too..i really think that i dont have HIV but still in the back of my head or sometimes symptoms just happen and i take it to that level in which i think i do regardless of the testing i have or whatnot..i do have to say that i feel like i am starting to believe day by day that i really dont have HIV and starting to get my life back on track..i havent been on the internet for a while but i just had a panic about it again and decided to read a little about it and came across this website and read what you had to say and it reassured me more so i wanted to write this to let people know that sometimes all your symptoms arent really relevant to what you think you have..maybe you've read something like this before but reading what people have to say plus what you had to say has really helped me right now..and i just had to write this to let people hear this out and hopefully they feel better. thank you

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

I'll gladly post your story and your comments in hopes that it will help others escape from their self-inflicted worried-well hell!

I absolutely agree HIV is not your problem! Fear of HIV is!

Dr. Bob

Previous
4 month, 2 weeks
Next
HIV infection

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.