Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

condom breakage! Help
May 23, 2008

Hi Dr Bob,

We are a magnetic couple. I am (-)ve and partner is (+)ve. we always practice safe sex and always uses lots of lube everytime.

Yesterday when we are having intimacy, my partner topped me. and unfortunately the condom broke. I (btm), negative, found out that the condom broke.

We stopped the intercourse immediately and i went to the bath room to rinse with water and bath foam.

This incident freaked us out. considering that we stopped the intercourse immediately and he have not ejaculate in the condoms. what are the risk of me contracting the virus?

Please reply as this is freaking us out. I'll promise a donation after a reply. thanks lots!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

HIV-transmission risk is based on many factors, including the route of exposure, viral strain, viral load, local trauma, concurrent infections, immune integrity, etc. Generally speaking, a broken-condom experience can be most accurately equated to an unprotected (no condom) exposure. That your exposure was so brief and that ejaculation did not occur would reduce any potential risk for transmission/acquisition. If your partner is on antiretroviral medications and his HIV plasma viral load has been suppressed to undetectable limits, this too would significantly decrease the chance for viral transmission.

The CDC recommendation for HIV testing following a significant exposure to a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is to get an HIV-antibody test at the three- and six-month marks.

Good luck to both you and your partner.

Dr. Bob

Previous
So many questions
Next
100 dollors again

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.