So many questions

Dr. Franscino,

I found your website over 3 years ago and lemme tell ya, I have learned a lot about HIV. You guys do an awesome job on this site, keep up the great work!!

Anyways, I have some questions. I know some of them I have found in the archives but I am your typical worry well and then some. I tend to worry about things that I shouldn't worry about and it has been driving me insane the past 4 weeks.

Here is my story. On the night of April 24th, I had sex with a prostitute. I wore a condom and I checked the condom after the act and there was no break. What worries me though is that right before we had sex, she performed unprotected oral on me for a few seconds. Ever since then, I have been so worried that I got HIV and sometimes, I convince myself that I do have it. I mean, I'm already starting to look at what medications to take and I haven't even been tested yet!! I've also been constantly looking at myself in the mirror looking for symptoms. I also just noticed a canker sore under my tongue yesterday morning. I've also noticed that I seem to be clearing my throat a lot.

So here are my questions. Are canker sores a symptom for ARS? Should I worry about my clearing throat issue? I have been smoking cigarettes on and off the past few days, could that be part of the problem?? What are my chances of contracting HIV through unprotected oral? She would have to have been bleeding really bad from her mouth in order for me to be at risk right?

I know you are a busy guy but if you can respond it would really mean alot to me. I know it sounds weird but if you were to answer, it would really put my mind at ease since you know so much about HIV. Also, could you send some of your good luck karma sent via overnight?

God bless!

Michael

Hello Michael,

You've been reading this Web site for over three years and you are still freaking out over a few seconds of unprotected oral sex with the Naughty Lady of Shady Lane??? Michael, it's time for you to reread the entire section in the archives pertaining to oral sex! And this time pay attention! While you're at it, you should also reread the chapter on "symptoms." Briefly, oral sex carries an extremely low risk for HIV transmission/acquisition. As for "symptoms," they are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. I must also mention smoking cigarettes will kill you in a very painful and undignified way. I urge you to stop.

To say that your looking at which HIV medications you should take is premature would be the understatement of the century, kind of like saying Dubya hasn't been a very good president.

Finally, sure, I'll send you my good-luck karma, but you won't need the expedited overnight shipping, as I'm very confident you are indeed HIV negative.

COPD
condom breakage! Help