Vomit transmission

I wish so bad for you to answer this question cause I can't seem to find a good answer. Some places say vomit has hiv in it, others don't. Since you are a dr, and very knowledgeable, and a nice man, I am asking you.

My friend was very drunk on his birthday and he threw up a lot in the toilet. I was helping him move down to the ground and i got some vomit on my hand. A few seconds later, without washing my hand yet, my cat jumped on me and scratched/cut my hand. I started bleeding. I am worried about hiv transmission through this cut. I don't know if my friend is std free. But I do know he is promiscuous with the men.

Please help. I have been worrying about this for so long.

You can't find a good answer? Did you check the archives? Your answer was there waiting for you. See below.

Briefly, vomitus is not considered an HIV risk, unless it contains visible blood.

hiv in nasal mucus? Aug 12, 2006

Dear dr. Frascino, does nasal mucus contain HIV and can an accidental ingestion of nasal mucus of a person with HIV and not on HAART be at risk? Thank you!

Nasal secretions similar to saliva, sputum, sweat, tears, urine, vomitus and feces are not implicated in the transmission of HIV, unless they contain visible blood.

Out of curiosity, how did you mange to "accidentally" chow down some HIV positive boogers?

just one shake Feb 7, 2007

Hello Doc, My girlfriend is working as a bartender and she cut her self by cutting fruit. Then she shaked hand with some guy has AIDS and he had sweat hands. She felt burn reaction from his sweat on her finger. It's possibility to infected this way? thank you

Nope! Even if sweaty hands poz-guy had also picked his nose, peed on his fingers and upchucked a Big Mac all over his hands before the handshake, your girlfriend's HIV risk remains completely nonexistent. (Tears, sweat, saliva, nasal mucous, urine, vomitus and feces do not transmit HIV, unless there is visible blood.)

Thank you
Can Coughing, Congestion, Aches, etc After Unprotected Anal Sex Be ARS?