lypodistrophy

Dear Bob,

I have been diagnosed HIV + in March 2006. Have gone from 560 cd4 to 380 in a year time, I now this doesnt mean anything, but I am preparing my self for the meds. My Doctor told me that I would start with Truvada and efavirenz, and my question is whether this treatment would be also cause lypoathrophy or lypodistrophy (sorry I am translating from dutch)and I wuld like to aks whether do you recommend any other starting therapy,Luckily I have not tested resistent to any HIVmedicine. Bod thank you for doing what you do and to anybody that helps you doing it!

Claudio from Amsterdam

Hello Claudio from Amsterdam,

Truvada plus efavirenz (also called Atripla when combined into a single pill) is the regimen least likely to cause lipoatrophy and/or lipohypertrophy, based on the currently available scientific data. I would agree this is an excellent choice for a first regimen.

For additional information, check out The Body's Lipoatrophy Resource Center that can be easily accessed on The Body's homepage under the Quick Links heading. Also we now have an expert forum dedicated to facial wasting, which is manned by Dr. Gerald Pierone. He's a great guy and gives outstanding advice. Dr. Bob says check it out!

Pregant anf tested +, Scared lost Confused? Help
Red Pimple-like Rashes on Body