Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please help, i've lost my mind
May 14, 2008

I must be stupid, I honestly had no idea you weren't supposed to use lotion (oil based) as a lube. I used this about 5 times. I didn't noticed the condom broke but apparently it can create slits that wouldn't be noticable. So i'm freaking out. I normally check the condoms afterwards. I never noticed anything, but was i still at risk because it could have had small holes/slit in it? please help, i'm going nuts worrying. I guess just because i used an oil base lube does that mean it definitely broke/or leaked through?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

This is the type of basic and potentially life-saving information that would be included in science-based sex education courses and is exactly the type of basic and potentially life-saving information that is not being taught in Dubya's misguided abstinence-only sex education curriculum! As your case points out, not providing this basic STD-prevention fact (proper use of condoms and lubricants) can have potentially disastrous consequences. This is yet another reason we need to vote conservative rightwing sex-phobic GOPers out of office ASAP. Our nation needs science-based information, not religious-based misinformation.

It is true that oil-based products can harm the integrity of latex, making it more likely to fail (break). A single rapid HIV test at three months or longer from your last oil-based lube job will provide an accurate and definitive result regarding your HIV status. The odds remain all in your favor that you did not contract HIV.

In addition to getting tested, I would advise you spend some time reviewing the wealth of information on this site pertaining to safer sex practices. Also, remember to get involved locally and insist science-based, age-appropriate sex education be taught in our schools! It could save lives!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Thanks for everything.
Next
depression and hiv

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.