A Question from Half of a Magnetic Couple

Hi Dr. Bob:

I am half of a heterosexual magnetic couple - he is positive and I am negative. We have been happily together for over five years. Due to my anxiety and his desire to keep me safe, we are extremely careful about our sexual contact. We rarely have penetrative sex. Like many women, I contract vaginal yeast infections which I treat with Canesten cream(clotrimazole). I just noticed that the Canesten package insert states, "Canesten may reduce the effectivenes of latex products (e.g. condoms and diaphragms) and vaginal spermicides. This effect is temporary and occurs only during treatment." I used the cream for six nights with the last dose on Friday night. I had safe vaginal sex (using a latex condom) on Saturday night. My partner did not ejaculate while inside of me. I checked the condom afterwards and it was intact. Is there reason to be concerned?

Dr. Bob, thanks for being there for all of us!

A Canadian Fan

Hi Canadian Fan,

I see no cause for concern. As the product states: "This effect is temporary and occurs only during treatment." Your horizontal mattress mambo took place the day after you finished your treatment. Therefore, as they say in Australia, no worries mate!

Congratulations on your successful magnetic coupling. I too am part of a magnetic relationship. Steve (Dr. Steve, the expert in The Body's Tratamientos forum) is HIV negative. I'm "virally enhanced." We've been together for 15 years, which gives further evidence that opposites attract!

Be well. Stay well.

Neuropathy during seroconversion, false negative?
In need of karma...I want to woohoo