HIV Test and Marijuana

Hi Dr --

I have had several HIV tests over the past year but I also smoke Marijuana on a somewhat regular basis -- probably about once a month. I just would like to know if smoking marijuana can affect an HIV test (either orasure or a blood test).

Thanks much!

Once again a QTND (question that never dies) and an ATNC (answer that never changes). Once again I encourage all potheads, I mean gracious readers of this forum, to check the archives! See below!

Testing Sep 3, 2005

If i was to smoke marijuana the night befor an HIV test will it affect the result?. It has been about 8 weeks after unpretected sex and my glads are up also i have been getting headaches. should i wait till 3 months to get tested or get one now?

No worries, Stone-head. Even if you bonged all night, there is no way to be one toke over the line (Sweet Jesus) on your HIV test the next day. So, in a word, will Mary Jane screw up an HIV test? Nope.

As for when to test, HIV antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be conclusive or definitive. So what to do for the next four weeks??? Perhaps eat massive quantities of pizza and ice cream in an impossible quest to quell the munchies.

Good luck and don't Bogart that joint!

Will this kind of touching trasmit HIV from my partner to my body?
masturbation (MASTURBATION 2008)