QUESTION FROM DAR ES SALAAM - TANZANIA

Hallow Dr Frascino & a good day to you. Thanks to the wonders of the worldwide web i have found your wonderful & truly informative site, i have a question Doctor. 1. I have a boyfriend and he love we have sex twice a Day, is it bad to our health as we both are hiv +, We each time use condom. 2. He suck me every time before we sex, isn't this bad for his helth? Am worried not to give him more viras than what he has.

3. I was taking Trimune 40, and i lost a lot of fat in my arms, butt, hips and legs then my Doctor changed my Med to Trimune 30, the fat loss was still going on and this year January, he changed me to Combivir + Nevirapine, Do you think this will stop the fat loss? and what can I do to arms, butt, hips and legs? My country they don't have any injection facilities, please advaice doctor, am so worried.

Thank, Philipina

Hello Philipina from Tanzania,

1. Having condom-protected sex is not bad for your health, whether one is HIV positive or not.

2. Oral sex carries only a very minimal risk for HIV transmission. Many poz-poz couples feel unprotected oral sex is "safe enough" for them to enjoy without worry about transmitting or acquiring a superinfection (new strain of HIV virus).

3. The medical term for fat loss is lipoatrophy. HIV-related lipoatrophy has been linked to certain antiretroviral medications called thymidine analogues. Unfortunately AZT, which is as component of your Combivir, is a thymidine analogue. I'd suggest getting off AZT and also avoiding d4T (Zerit). You can read much more about lipoatrophy at The Body's Lipoatrophy Resource Center that can be easily accessed on The Body's homepage under the heading, "Quick Links."

Philipina, now that you've found this site, I'd recommend you peruse the wealth of information here, including the archives and related links.

Good luck to you and your partner.

Thank you for this forum
I WANT TO GET MARRIED!!!! DON'T HATE ME!