HIV Testing

Dr. Bob,

I am a young female who has had multiple DEFINITE exposures to HIV. My live-in boyfriend of 3 years has AIDS and hadn't told me. We have always done it bare & the last day I had sex with him was on February 14, 2008. (This is the day I found out - saw HAART meds in his car).

Anyway, today marks 12 weeks (85days) since the last exposure and I just came back from the oraquick saliva test and the results were negative. [NONREACTIVE]. 1. Shall I WHOO-HOOOOOOO? or is it too early to do that? 2. Is it necessary to do the test again at 6 months? 3. HELP me understand, Why on earth would someone hide this and purposefully endager another's life?

Thanks

Going NUTS

Hello Going NUTS,

I'm somewhat surprised your live-in boyfriend is not your ex-boyfriend by now, considering he was knowingly placing you at grave risk for acquiring HIV! Such behavior really is morally reprehensible and unconscionable.

Regarding your specific questions:

1. A negative three-month test is very encouraging, but because you've had significant documented HIV exposures, the CDC recommends a confirmatory follow-up test at six months before WOO-HOOing.

2. As for why someone would hide their diagnosis, one could consider the stigma associated with the disease and fear of rejection. As for why someone would purposefully endanger another's life, I have absolutely no explanation.

Good luck!

Abnormal Blood Count?
Thank you for this forum